Friday, August 20, 2010

Cantaloupe Sorbet


My aunt gave me this cantaloupe over a week ago. Can you believe she paid (only) 50 cents for it at the local farmers market? I completely forgot it's been hanging out in the fridge so when I saw it, I had to do something with it fast before it goes to waste. I knew that I wouldn't be able to eat the entire cantaloupe by myself, so I thought I'd use it to make a sorbet. Because I love sorbets and it's so fun using my stand mixer!

Ingredients:
Simple Syrup (Sugar, water, and some light corn syrup), 2 tablespoons of lime juice and a cantaloupe. The one I had was pretty large, so I used a little over half of it.


Process:
- Make simple syrup (combine water, sugar, corn syrup over med heat until sugar is dissolved)
- Let syrup cool down
- In the meantime, clean and cube cantaloupe (the sweeter, the better)
- Puree the cantaloupe (I used about 4 cups of puree)
- Combine simple syrup mixture and add lime juice
- Put batter in a covered container and refrigerate overnight

This is what the batter looks like in the morning:

- Mix it up real quick and put batter in your ice cream maker following manufacturer's instructions


- Freeze for a couple hours. Serve and enjoy on a hot day.

No comments: