Monday, September 27, 2010

Seared Scallops over Saffron Rice & Veggies


It's been almost a year since our trip to Spain. While in Spain, I bought some (very expensive) saffron. Saffron is the most expensive spice in the world. Here's a photo I pulled from the archives of me in La Boqueria buying saffron from the spice lady:

I decided to pull my precious bottle out and make some saffron rice. But, then I had to figure out what to eat with the saffron rice. And I thought scallops! So, I pulled the saffron out of it's dark, hiding place:
I got this bottle at La Boqueria in Barcelona. The spice lady wrapped it up really nice for me. This little bottle cost me a pretty penny (or should I say pennies). It's sealed with candlewax, as you can see here:
So, to make the saffron rice, I started by soaking a few strands of saffron in hot water for about 15 minutes.

Saffron Rice:
A few strands of saffron
1 cup rice
1.5 cups of stock (I used chicken stock)
1 tablespoon butter
2 cloves of minced garlic


1. Melt the butter. Add garlic and cook until brown. Add rice and cook in garlic butter for about 5 minutes.

2. Add stock and saffron water. Let it come to a boil. Cover. Lower heat, and cook for about 30 minutes.

While rice is cooking, prepare scallops and veggies. Wash and rinse scallops. Dry scallops in paper towels to absorb water. Wash, cut and dry veggies. I used bok choy, green beans, snow peas and red bell peppers.



When rice is ready, saute veggies in olive oil, salt and pepper. Plate veggies and rice.
Sear scallops. Heat pan (supposedly a stainless steel pan will result in better coloring than a nonstick pan). Melt butter and place scallops in pan for about 3 minutes. Do not move the scallops once they've been placed on the pan. Also, make sure to leave space between scallops in the pan.
Flip over and sear the other side for another 3 minutes or so.
That's it! Plate the scallops over the saffron rice and you're ready to eat. The saffron rice brought me back to Spain and the scallops and veggies were just really good. I ate a total of 5 scallops because I'm a pig, but it was so good :)

No comments: