Monday, January 30, 2012
Chicken & Bulgur Salad With Avocado
This salad is healthy, filling and easy. You can pretty much use any veggies you have on hand/like to eat.
1 cup bulgar
1 cup boiling water
2 pieces of boneless chicken breasts (I used thighs) with skin removed
1/4 cup + 1 teaspoon grapeseed oil
Salt & freshly grounded pepper
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup shredded basil
5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 fennel bulb
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
2. Cook bulgur. In a heatproof bowl, cover the bulgur with boiling water. Cover the bowl with a plate and let stand until the water has been absorbed and the bulgur is tender (about 30 minutes).
3. Roast the chicken. Coat the chicken with the grapeseed oil. Season with salt & pepper. Roast for 15 minutes, until golden; let cool. Slice the chicken into 1/4 inch thick pieces.
4. Make the vinaigrette. In a small bowl, whisk the orange juice with the basil, lemon juice, scallions and the remaining grapeseed oil season the vinaigrette with salt & pepper.
5. Toss it all up. In a bowl, toss the bulgur, chicken, avocados, fennel and tomatoes in the vinagrette. Season with with salt & pepper. Plate it up and serve.
From Food & Wine Fast